We created STEELPORT with the mission of reintroducing American-forged cutlery on a national, accessible scale. Now, just one year in, we are proud to have made huge strides towards accomplishing that goal. The generous and humbling support from our customers has been a key motivator for this success.
STEELPORT launched in March 2021 in the midst of a global pandemic with our flagship 8″ Chef Knife. We spent the rest of 2021 perfecting our processes, building new relationships and establishing trust with our customers. In Spring 2022, we expanded our line with a 6″ Chef Knife, 4″ Paring knife, 10″ Slicing Knife and 10″ Bread Knife. Along with our custom fitted Sheaths and carbon steel care kit, we now have a comprehensive family of 5 essential kitchen knives.
“STEELPORT is the perfect knife for me. Handles all of my duties at work yet durable enough to use at home with the family. A knife that embodies a true work/life balance.”
– Gabriel Rucker of Le Pigeon in Portland
As we look back at our greatest milestones from our first year, our team is even more excited about the path ahead as we continue to bring American-forged cutlery onto the global stage.
In the past year, STEELPORT has:
- Expanded our product offering to a full set of 5 knives and multiple accessories including sheaths and a carbon steel knife care kit.
- Grown to include 12 diverse and talented team members that go above and beyond every day.
- Moved into our own factory space in NE Portland, which is open to the public for tours and sales Monday-Friday 1:00-6:00 p.m.
- Received high praise from national publications, including New York Times “Has Heirloom written all over it”, Forbes “this chef’s knife is a work of art”, Gear Patrol “The Best Made-in-USA Kitchen Knife”, Men’s Health “Best Chef Knife of 2022”, and more.
- Become a favorite knife of top chefs in locally and across the country – in Portland, STEELPORT is used by Gabriel Rucker of Le Pigeon, Katy Millard of Coquine, Elias Cairo of Olympia Provisions, Top Chef 12 finalist Doug Adams, Lauro Romero of Republica, Theo Taylor of Ken’s Artisan Bakery, Aaron Adams of Fermenter, and nationally by Aaron Franklin of Franklin’s BBQ in Austin, Paul Kahan of avec in Chicago, Chris Bianco of Pizzaria Bianco in Phoenix and Los Angeles, Angus An in Vancouver, BC and more.
- Hosted dozens of events in our factory store while partnering with some of Portland’s best artisan brands and chefs, including sharpening classes, open houses, product launch parties, beer club pickup parties, private group tours, and our now-annual Pre-Father’s Day Market.
- Partnered with over 40 retail locations across the country, including Sur La Table locations, making history as the only American-made knife available in a national retailer AND the only American knife broadly available with the features only found in a custom-made knife including our drop-forged process, integral bolster, 52100 carbon steel, unmatched 65 HRC hardness, stabilized burl wood handle, hand polished finish, and more.
“I love the STEELPORT knife! I use it every day. The great balance and feel definitely makes the cut.”
– Aaron Franklin of Franklin’s BBQ in Austin
This last milestone is monumental – with our entry into Sur La Table stores in May 2022, STEELPORT became the ONLY American-made cutlery brand available in a national kitchenware retailer! This means American-made cutlery now has more visibility than ever before, finally having a place next to the Chinese, German and Japanese knives that consumers have assumed were the only/best option.
“Absolutely exquisite knife… All aspects of the knife are so special. Design, materials and craftsmanship combine to make a knife that I look forward to using the rest of my life.”
– Paul Kahan of avec and Publican in Chicago
Until now, there were no American-made knives available at any premium national kitchenware retailers. While there are many talented custom knife makers in the US, their knives have not been accessible to general consumers due to limited availability and price. The STEELPORT team has developed our processes to deliver a highest-quality American handcrafted knife in large enough consistent volumes for a national retailer to carry it.
CHEERS TO OUR FIRST YEAR!
Thank you again for your continued support. Remember to follow along on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube, and know that we value your reviews of STEELPORT on the platforms you’re active on. Your support and encouragement are essential for us to continue to grow at this exciting pace.